These simple fajitas are always an easy, satisfying dinner, and great for busy weeknights. (You can also prep the veggies and make the taco seasoning ahead of time for an even quicker throw-together!)
- 2-3 large portobello mushrooms
- 2 bell peppers
- 1 onion
- 1 Tbsp. taco seasoning (see below)
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil, or more
- 6 corn tortillas (or other tortilla)
- Toppings of choice: avocado/guacamole, pico de gallo, dairy-free cheese, cashew sour cream
For the taco seasoning - yields about 3 Tbsp.
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional - if you like heat)
- Remove stems of mushrooms, spoon out gills if desired, and wipe tops clean. Cut into about 1/3 inch thick slices.
- Thinly slice bell peppers and onion.
- Make taco seasoning if necessary (combine all ingredients in a bowl).
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add 1 Tbsp. olive oil and the peppers and onions. Cook about 2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and 1 Tbsp. taco seasoning.
- Stirring occasionally, cook another 7-8 minutes or until softened. Add juice of 1/2 lime (or more) and stir. Salt if necessary and turn off heat.
- While the veggies are cooking, prepare your toppings of choice.
- Warm the tortillas if desired.
- Spoon the fajita mixture into the center of tortillas, and serve with toppings of choice.