Clean Blueberry Almond Crumble
This Clean Blueberry Almond Crumble is made with wholesome, clean-eating ingredients that your body will love, but it still tastes sweet like the treats that your soul craves. It’s the best of both worlds!
- ¾ cup old-fashioned oats (gluten-free if necessary)
- ¼ cup whole wheat or millet flour (measured correctly)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup*
- 1 ½ tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 6 cups frozen blueberries
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp almond extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F, and lightly coat an 8”-square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- To prepare the oat streusel topping, whisk together the oats, flour, and cinnamon in a small bowl. Add in the maple syrup and butter, stirring until completely incorporated.
- To prepare the filling, stir together the blueberries, cornstarch, and almond extract in a large bowl until thoroughly combined. Transfer the filling to the prepared pan, and sprinkle the oat streusel on top. Bake at 350°F for 50-60 minutes, or until the blueberry juices are bubbling at the sides. Cool completely to room temperature; then chill for at least 3 hours before serving.
- For a vegan version, substitute Earth Balance buttery spread in place of the butter.
- For a sugar-free topping, replace the maple syrup with 2 tablespoons of your preferred milk plus the stevia equivalent of 2 tablespoons of sugar.
The crumble will last for at least 6 days if covered and chilled in the refrigerator.