Grilled Zucchini Lasagna
- 1 lb. 93% lean ground beef or extra lean ground turkey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground sea salt
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28 oz can) crushed tomatoes
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- Black pepper, to taste
- 3 medium (8 ounces each) zucchini, sliced 1/8″ thick
- 1 1/2 cups part-skim ricotta or fat free cottage cheese (drained)
- · 1/4 cup Parmigiano Reggiano
- · 1 large egg
- · 16 oz (4 cups) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat gas grill to medium-high heat and oven to 375 degrees.
- Slice zucchini, lightly salt, and set to the side. The salt will help remove the moisture. After 10 minutes blot excess moisture with paper towel.
- In a medium sauce pan on medium-high, brown meat and season with salt. When cooked through drain in colander to remove any fat.
- Add olive oil to the pan and saute garlic and onions about 2 minutes.
- Return the meat to the pan, add tomatoes, basil, salt and pepper. Simmer on low for at least 30-40minutes, covered. Do not add extra water, the sauce should be thick.
- Grill zucchini 2-3 minutes per slide, until slightly browned. Place on paper towels to soak any excess moisture.
- In a medium bowl mix ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese and egg. Stir well.
- In a large casserole spread 1/2 cup of sauce on the bottom and layer the zucchini to cover.
- Spread 1/2 cup of the ricotta cheese mixture, then top with 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese and repeat the process until all your ingredients are used up.
- The last layer top with remaining zucchini and sauce, cover with foil and bake 30 minutes.
- Uncover the foil and bake 20 minutes (to dry up the sauce) then place the remaining 1 cup mozzarella and bake until melted, 10 minutes.